Search This Blog

Friday 25 July 2014

Mid-Winter Blues from Evan Andrew


Here in New Zealand it has been a wet and gloomy July just recently. The fact that June was the driest and supposedly warmest on record is soon forgotten as we light the fire, and put on scarves and coats when we venture out. Everyone seems to be coughing and spluttering with all sorts of dreaded viruses lurking about, and the hospitals are once again full to overflowing. Oh well, spring is only a month away, and the daffodils are out, so it can’t be all bad.

My dear mother always told me as a boy, that it is better to give than to receive, and I must confess there is a lot of truth in that statement. In June I put my first novel ‘Shadows In the Night’,  on a Goodreads Giveaway promotional list, offering twelve as giveaways for the lucky entrants here in New Zealand. It finished on the 19th July, and the following day I was duly informed of the fortunate recipients. I could not but feel sorry for the considerable number that had put their names forward, but sadly missed out.

Monday and Tuesday was spent addressing and sending the books around the country to a varied collection of men and women, of different ethnic origins, from the far North to the deep South of New Zealand. Naturally, I am hoping they enjoy the book, and write a favourable review on Amazon. (PLEASE!!!)

However, I really did enjoy packing the books up and sending them off. It gave me a pleasurable glow as I handled the books, while wondering all the time how they would be received at the other end, as I visualized the reader in my mind's eye. I guess only another fellow author can understand the pleasure and pride you get from handling your own work in this way. Certainly, nothing gives you so much pleasure as when you meet a complete stranger who tells you just how much he, or she, enjoyed your book.

I really think that, more than anything else, keeps you writing. Now I will wait with, to be perfectly honest, a certain impatience, to hopefully read my first review from one of the chosen twelve.

As my mother wisely said, ‘It is better to give than to receive,’ but sometimes receiving can be almost as good.

 

Evan G Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment